Say it with me:
I think you get the idea. So let’s do something about it. You want more space in your closet. (probably to fill it up again, but that’s not what I’m focusing on! lol) No judgement. Anyway, even if you want to clean your closet out to go shopping again or if you want to make it look prettier, you need a plan of action. Don’t just jump in, get frustrated & give up. It could end up looking worse than when you started! So here are a few tips & tricks that will help you clean out. I’ll post some more ideas on how to make your closet pretty soon, so be on the lookout! Here are some items to consider tossing:
That’s right! Anything too tight, too revealing or some outdated fashion fad (that never should have existed) is a good candidate to toss. Here are some tips to make room for your fall clothes:
1. Cut down your closet by 25% by asking yourself this one question: “If I were shopping right this second, would I buy this?” If the answer’s no, out it goes.
2. If you have a small closet, never keep your shoes in clunky shoe boxes. Instead, line up them on the floor or use a tension rod. Line them up side by side with the heel of one shoe next to the toe of the next & save even more space!
3. Don’t buy items you know you won’t properly care for. For example, if you know you’re never going to hand-wash that delicate cami or beaded sweater, don’t buy it.
4. Have an item you need to part with but don’t know how to let it go? Give it to a friend who always eyed it! Gifting items is a great way to part with a loved item.
5. Swap with a friend or group of friends! Include clothing, jewelry, handbags & other accessories. Then exchange info on sales & deals & make a girl’s night out of it!
6. Donate to a women’s shelter or homeless shelter.
7. Donate to a local school. Most schools have a clothes pantry.
8. Repurpose sweaters as throw pillow covers, upcycle tees and tanks into maxi dresses or handbags, turn a sweatshirt into a cardigan. Need ideas? Type “upcycle clothing” into any search engine.
9. Is it beyond repair? Consider using it as a dusting rag!
10. Host your own giveaway! Use Craigslist or Facebook to advertise it & let people come take what they need. You don’t have to do it at your house, either. Utilize a local park, ask a church to allow you to use their space, or find a free meeting room (like at Deep Roots) and “give” away!
Here’s a video on how to make the most out of really tight spaces. Even if your space isn’t small, you can still optimize the space you have! Then after the video, there are some fashion staples that will make updating your look easy.
Here’s the link to the video to cut/paste in case the picture link doesn’t work:
With that in mind, while you’re sorting, donating, tossing, repurposing or swapping, do you have the right accessories for the season? Although vibrant jewel tones are the focus this fall, your favorite color is never out of style! Here are some style inspirations for your wardrobe this season…
Black & gold statement earrings with pearl & rhinestone accents $16
Succulent ruby red crystal & rhinestone necklace & earring set in told tone $35
Also available in green & clear.
Exquisite layered pearl & rhinestone statement necklace & earring set in gold tone. Only $30! Also available in marbled cream, red & turquoise.
Express subtle elegance with this vintage styled crystal necklace & earring set in black, red & grey hues (also available in black/grey). Only $35.
Fabulous green bubble necklace in gold tone (also available in solid white, blue or pink). Only $35.
Multi-layered necklace & earring set in cobalt blue. Also available in ruby red. $22
Opulence is the only word to describe this piece! With it’s incredible beauty expressed by chunky gold links, clear crystals & rhinestones & cream stones, this piece is sure to wow everyone you meet! $35
A sultry sensation in ruby red! This wonderful piece is expressive & impressive with ruby stones & rhinestones & clear rhinestones with gold tones. This piece is also available in cobalt blue & tangerine. A steal at $24!!
Chunky charm necklaces always fit the bill! Especially this one, with its elegant, classic notes of midnight & grey. This piece is specially priced at $29
Need a little arm candy? This statement bracelet is covered in faceted crystals & clear rhinestones. It is available in green, red & blue. Only $18
Black & gold never go out of style. And this cascading bib necklace is full of style! It’s great for a casual look with a tee & blazer or for a night out on the town with a classic or modern dress! Only $35
Need even more inspiration?
Visit these lovely ladies & tell them The Jewelry Lady sent ya! XO