Been wearing the same ‘ol, same ‘ol for a while? Well here are some styles that will work for your workplace! I’ve included models of different sizes to give you ideas!
I’ve paired some basic pieces & outfits that you can add a blazer or sweater to if needed to make it look more professional (or if your office is cold).
Statement necklace sets paired with basic pieces for impact.
Here’s a diagram I found that gives good insight for proper office attire. Take a look at the don’t section. #1 is too low-cut & the straps are inappropriate. #2 is too busy with pattern & a bit too close cut. #3 appears to be a swimsuit coverup (you may be able to redeem that one with a red blazer & belt if you wear pumps). #4 is along the same lines. Keep in mind that when you belt a dress, the hemline should still fall at the knee or 1″ above, max. If not, when you sit down, it’ll all be on display!
This is a perfect ensemble for work (the shoes may be a hazard depending on the flooring. Keep them modest so your feet aren’t sore, bleeding or swollen by the end of the day).
So, what if you’re new & you don’t know what in the world you CAN wear? I’ve worked in offices before & I’ll be honest. Sometimes finding the “office climate” for your attire can be challenging. Some people wear this, others wear that. There are a few ways to figure out what you should be wearing in your office.
1. Ask your boss! Poll your coworkers. This is presuming you work with a normal set of people (no pervs, social climbers, nut jobs or someone completely unengaged with their workplace).
2. Observe what others wear & their position in the company. Who is the most tastefully dressed? Who is doing well in the company & their attire is always praised? Now, be careful! I don’t mean “that chick”. You know, the office pin-up. If you want to keep your job, don’t become a liability to the company. Can you say “Sexual Harassment Lawsuit”?
3. Ask HR. Their job is to help you figure out what’s ok & what’s a little out there for your workplace.
I hope you enjoyed these ideas. If you’d like to order any of the accessories listed, hit me up below!
- Office Fashion Faux Pas (reed.co.uk)
- How to Dress for Your First Day at Work (gentwenty.com)
- Dos and Dont’s of Dressing for Work in Summer (ezibuy.co.nz)
- Fashion Taboos: 8 Inappropriate Items For Summer Office Attire (madamenoire.com)
- The Bountiful Blazer (thestylefixer.com)
- Dress Chic for Work (thebestylist.com)
- What is Appropriate Workplace Attire? (halliecrawford.com)
- How to dress for interviews (snagajob.com)
- Six tips to change your workplace culture (theglobeandmail.com)